Friday, March 28, 2008

The Most Powerful Thing in the World

What is the most powerful thing in the world?

Our answer to this question is telling about the practices that have formed us. Sam Wells, dean of the chapel at Duke, talks about what we have learned to take for granted. Our answer to this question reveals "what we have learned to take for granted."

The fact that I would answer "the US military" or "a nuclear weapon" tells you what I've learned to take for granted. I'll admit that I haven't been up close and personal with either of those two things, but based on the conversation that permeates the news media and civic events that I encounter, that's the answer I'd give.

But of course, there's the small fact that my answer has no basis for truth whatsoever according to Christian theology. A humbling fact given that I am a "professional Christian!" According to what I learn from Christian practice is that "the cross and resurrection of Jesus" is the most powerful thing in the world. As yet, the US military and nuclear weapons have not brought new creation out of death.

John Howard Yoder said The cross and resurrection of Jesus is "The grain of the universe." What he means is that it is the way things are, the truth about the world.

In a discussion on Yoder's book "The Politics of Jesus" that I attended last evening with Sam Wells, dean of the chapel at Duke University, this comment was made.

"The most powerful thing in the world is the cross and resurrection of Jesus. Christians don't mess with weapons, not because they are bad and hurt people, but because they are not powerful enough when we have something as powerful as the cross and resurrection of Jesus."

This Jesus isn't just my pal who talks God into forgiving my sin and letting me sit on clouds forever after I die. This Jesus shows me stuff I didn't know was true before I met him. This Jesus brings new ways of seeing the world. This Jesus brings about a whole new creation. This Jesus shows us what true power really is. This Jesus will get you killed. But is that any match for the power of His cross and resurrection? He lives!

2 comments:

Aaron Rousseau said...

Having been up close and personal to the might of the US military (I've guarded nuclear weapons), I have seen its power. It certainly is a powerful thing in this world. I am of the opinion, however, that modern media has more power. How many average Americans have been up close and personal to our military? A relatively small number compared to those that are exposed to modern media - television, radio, print magazines, Internet, cell phones, etc, etc. Technology has made it so easy to communicate to the masses and all too often the wrong messages are getting through. Messages that subconsciously influence our thinking. Thinking that leads us to believe that we need to have everything we want whether we can afford it or not - we are entitled. If we don't drive the right car or live in the right neighborhood or have a plasma screen television, we somehow don't measure up to those that do. Adult Americans spend so much time trying to measure up, they lose sight of values they were taught as children. And in the process, many are failing to teach these values to their own children, failing to help them develop a moral compass. Children, in turn, are being influenced by the media around them. I see it as a dangerous and vicious cycle that may get worse before it gets better. Jesus is the answer! Your last paragraph says it all! I pray that He "brings new ways of seeing the world" and "brings about a whole new creation" to all those that desperately need Him. All things come from Him and only He has the power to make all things new!

Michael Entner said...

That's easy -- "love" is the most powerful thing in the world. And out of love comes forgiveness and grace. I don't care about nukes. What's the worst they can do -- take my life? make it difficult? cause me pain? All of these things will come to me in due time. Here's one of my favorite quotes by Robert Benchley -- "Death ends a life, not a relationship." Why is that? Because life is based on biology and love is based on spirit. The spirit is eternal, and a powerful reminder of our Creator's love for us.