Thursday, October 2, 2008

Fourth Century Hope for 21st Century Anxiety

The U.S. economy faced meltdown this week while government officials scrambled to put together a response plan. Most people I know have a friend who is looking for a job. And even if you have time, you dare not listen too long to any news broadcasts which are rift with anxiety.

What a horrible feeling to wake up and realize your job is now to look for a job. Among other things you think, “Where do I start? Who is hiring now? I wish we had saved more. How long is this going to last? What do I do about these bills? Is losing my home possible?!” It is a helpless feeling.

The church has abundant resources to help people in this kind of crisis. One resource is history. A look at history reveals that crises like this have been weathered before. This week I remembered a book I read in seminary by a late fourth century monk named John Cassian. I found the introductory paragraph in the book to be eerily familiar.

It reads: “To the inhabitants of the Mediterranean world during the later fourth century A.D., the world seemed to be in decline. The frontiers were under threat, the countryside insecure, the taxation system unjust, government not respected. The Roman Empire was falling to pieces and no one could conceive what other kind of world there could be. The circumstances of daily life forced men and women to ask where they could find not only physical safety but hope in circumstances that looked so menacing.”

One could say just about the same thing for the inhabitants of the Western world in the early 21st century! Out of this crisis in the fourth century rose a movement that continues to be a gift to the church. I’m talking about the monks, nuns and hermits! These are the folks who by their simple lives of prayer and work in community reminded the church that it is called to seek another kingdom more lasting than any in this world, the kingdom of God.

John Cassian happened to be both a monk and a “monk instructor.” He wrote a book called “Conferences” to train new monks in the monastic life. One of the things he shared with his "monks in training" was a way of praying that has been particularly helpful for me in times like these, and I thought you might appreciate knowing about it too. The good news is that you don’t have to be a monk or a nun to do this!

He suggests holding Psalm 69:2 in our thoughts in all circumstances. "Come to my help, O God; Lord, hurry to my rescue."

“This short verse,” writes Cassian, “is an indomitable wall for all those struggling against the onslaught of demons. It is an impenetrable breastplate and the sturdiest of shields. Whatever the disgust, the anguish, or the gloom in our thoughts, this verse keeps us from despairing of our salvation since it reveals to us the One to whom we call, the One who sees our struggles and who is never far from those who pray to Him.... This little verse, I am saying, proves to be necessary and useful to each one of us and in all circumstances. For someone who needs help in all things is making clear that he requires the help of God not simply in hard and sad situations but equally amid fortunate and joyful conditions."

So, in the face of threats, insecurity, injustice and distrust we pray . . . "Come to my help, O God; Lord, hurry to my rescue."
In the face of crumbling investments, job offers and job losses we pray . . . “Come to my help, O God; Lord, hurry to my rescue.”
In the face of new hope and dashed hope we pray . . . “Come to my help, O God; Lord, hurry to my rescue.”
In all things we pray “Come to my help, O God; Lord, hurry to my rescue.”

Come on . . . try this! "Come to my help, O God; Lord, hurry to my rescue."

May this ancient prayer and fourth century advice give us new insight, imagination and hope in the face of our 21st century anxiety.

No comments: