Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Gift of God's Presence in an Irish Pub

I attended a conference on preaching recently. The conference was full of listening and learning about preaching that connects with people in our community. We were given a lot to think about and do. And at the end of a long day we had a free evening to do whatever we wanted. I wanted to catch up with Roy, a good friend at the conference who I only get to see about three times a year. We looked for a nearby restaurant to go hang out and get a bite to eat. The only place we found was a nearby Irish Pub.

Of the two of us, Roy looks much more like a regular at pubs. He is the most tattooed United Methodist pastor that I know and sports long hair with a goatee . In spite of being at the preaching conference I wasn’t interested in “connecting with my community” or being a “detective for divinity” in the pub that night. I just wanted to relax and enjoy some time catching up with my friend. I guess I can blame this on my tattooed, long-haired, goateed, Duke University-Tshirt-wearing friend, but somehow we attracted the attention of three lawyers at the pub. It was then that God surprised us with a gift.

The conversation started out innocently enough. One lawyer asked, “What year did you graduate from Duke? Do you remember when Duke played Carolina in basketball that year?” And then another asked, “What did you study?” We said, “We went to the Divinity School. We’re United Methodist Pastors.” I thought that would be the end of our conversation, but it only seemed to intrigue them more.

The edited version of their next question was, “Why in the world do you do what you do?” The question was genuine, and before I knew it Roy and I were sitting in an Irish Pub sharing with three lawyers about how God had moved us to order our lives around Jesus Christ and his will.

One of the guys, Bob, seemed particularly intrigued with our stories and reflected on his own life saying, “Faith is not a part of my life at all right now. I’d like it to be, but I’m not even sure how to do that or even what that would mean.” Among other things Bob shared about how he had lost faith in the church with all its rules and hypocrisy, but still had a longing to live in a way that made this world a better place.

As our conversation continued I kept thinking, “Wow! I didn’t see this coming.” God was present in that Irish pub – a holy moment in such an unsuspecting place. Feels like the first Christmas!

There were no Christmas songs playing. Some guy was strumming a guitar over in the corner. There were no angel choirs, shepherds, or animals, and I'm not sure there was a wise man in the place. But it felt like Christmas because the gift of God was present. God was present in our openness with one another, the soul stirring questions that were asked and the vulnerability with which each one shared about his experience of pain and hope.

The Bible tells us that at the first Christmas God made himself vulnerable and became present among us in a child named Jesus. None of the religious people of the day had seen this coming. But there was God right there in the animal feeding trough outside Bethlehem – a holy moment in such an unsuspecting place. It was Christmas.

It is the surprising gift of God in Jesus that we remember at Christmas. The Advent theme at my church this year is “God’s Future in the Present.” That reminds us that God’s future is present now through the gift of Jesus. We don’t need to wait until we die to experience God’s presence. Apparently God is interested in meeting people in odd places like Irish Pubs, smelly stables and wherever you happen to be right now.

Jesus is a gift we are invited to receive right now. As we receive the gift of Christ we begin to participate in God’s future right now – the restoration of all creation. Indeed, this world can be a better place and God’s purpose in Christ is to make it so. Through the gift of Christ we can imagine and live into God’s promised future of love, joy and peace.

My prayer for you this Advent and Christmas is that you receive this gift.

1 comment:

Murpheus57 said...

This is such a cool story, a reminder that some of the best places -- taverns, cigar stores, coffee houses -- to share about faith are often the places Jesus would be frequenting today. (I know, I know -- I have Christian friends who would rather die than step foot in such establishments.) "You must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if you are asked about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it" (1 Peter 3:15).