Friday, December 12, 2008

Good News or Bad News?

"Simeon took Jesus in his arms and praised God, saying, "Master, now you are dismissing your servant in peace, according to your word; for my eyes have seen your salvation." Luke 2:28-30

"When King Herod heard this [about Jesus' birth], he was frightened, and all Jersualem with him." Matthew 2:3

Have you ever noticed that “good news” is relative? Birth announcements are like that. It was such good news when my sister and her husband announced to us that they were expecting a baby boy who was born on December 1. But there was mixed emotion when my friend in high school announced that she was pregnant. She and her boyfriend had gone too far.

The "good news" of Jesus' birth was relative too.

For Simeon, the news of Jesus’ birth was the fulfillment of a lifetime of longing. The news of Jesus’ birth was so good for Simeon that he basically says, “Now I can die a happy man!” The one thing he had been waiting for most in life had occurred in the birth of Jesus.

On the other hand we have King Herod, perhaps one of those that Simeon had in mind when he said, “This child is destined for the falling and the rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed so that the inner thoughts of many will be revealed.” Matthew says that when Herod heard that the “king of the Jews” had been born “he was frightened, and all Jerusalem with him.”

What makes the “good news” of Jesus so joyful for some and so terrifying for others?
One reason is power.

Those with power, who like the world the way it is, can find Jesus threatening. Those with no power, whose lives are marked by a longing for justice, often find Jesus the source of all they hope for.

In spite of the way preachers today sometimes spin Jesus, he did not come to earth in order to help make people’s lives better. Sure, many lives have been made whole by Jesus. What I mean is that Jesus did not come to earth in order to help people achieve their personal dreams. Jesus isn't our personal genie. Jesus did not come to earth in order to help people realize their best life now. Jesus came in order to bring God’s Kingdom and set the world in alignment with the rule of God in the world. Jesus work might better be described as rescuing people from the destruction which comes as we persue our own dreams rather than God's dreams.

As a result, those who enjoy life pretty well right now because of their place of power or privilege might struggle to understand Jesus as “good news.” Herod is a case in point, but so am I and a lot of my friends who have grown up in a place of privilege and power.

I am aware of the fact that I live a life where I have often had the privilege and power to call the shots. People pay attention to me. People listen to me. People will often assume I’m in charge instead of others. I have never wondered where my next meal would come from. As a kid I never wondered IF I could be employed when I grew up. It was only a matter of whatever I made my mind up to do. I never wondered IF I could go to college or graduate school or even be the president of the United States.

What is disturbing to me is that people like me in the Bible are the ones who are more threatened by Jesus than joyful [see Herod, the Pharisees and the Rich Young Ruler]. It is strange but true. By virtue of my place in life it is more difficult for me to pay attention to Jesus; listen to Jesus; trust that Jesus is in charge; depend on Jesus for bread; look to Jesus for employment; and seek Jesus’ direction about education and vocation. I just have so many other attractive options than Jesus.

What we find in Simeon is an invitation to remember where true power and privilege lay. Power lies in a manger. Power is revealed in all it's glory on a cross. And the power to transform people like me and Herod is found ultimately in the resurrection of Jesus.

That is not just good news for Simeon. That's good news for everybody.

No comments: