Thursday, February 23, 2012

Invite Your Pastor to Work Day

Not that I want to perpetuate the myth, but most of you think we preachers only work for an hour on Sunday. Since we’ve got so much extra time on our hands, I wanted to invite myself to join you at your job. Why you ask? Well, I’d like to see what you do and how you put your talent to work. I’d like to know what you are struggling with and what you want to celebrate so I can join you in prayer. Following Jesus, after all, is a work place endeavor as well as a Sunday worship endeavor.

It had to be a covert operation since we all know that religion and public schools don’t mix. But recently I was smuggled into a local elementary school by a member of our church who works there. I don’t want to incriminate my host in case this blog is being monitored by the school board. So, I’m changing his name to protect his awesomeness.

Mr. Levi (remember, not his real name, but a cool name nonetheless!) called me several weeks ago and said, “Hey! Would you like to come to my school to pray for our students and staff just prior to the week when we will be taking the big FCAT writes test?” He said he would even provide breakfast. I said, “Say no more. I’ll be there!”

Mr. Levi started by introducing me to his staff and sharing different initiatives to help struggling students while challenging the bright ones. He said he has a veteran staff that has had their share of adversity this year too. Some are battling cancer, dealing with divorce, or grieving the death of a parent. They deal with all this while creating an environment where children can learn, grow and reach their potential.

The students in Mr. Levi’s school face their own challenges. Over 50% qualify for the free or reduced cost lunch program. One is battling Lupus. Many come from single parent homes and/or have parents who are looking for employment. But these are not excuses for a lack of excellence according to Mr. Levi. He says, “I have a ‘whatever it takes’ attitude, and I expect the same from my staff.”

We walked down the halls and admired the children’s creative artwork, pictures of supportive PTA families, a destination college display, celebrations for kids who made the honor roll and kids who had met their reading goals for the quarter. We poked our head into a few classrooms - some with students sitting quietly and some with autistic kids crying loudly as teachers worked patiently along-side them. As the occasional child walked past us in the hall Mr. Levi would call them by name. He nearly knows all 500.

As Mr. Levi prays for his students and staff, particularly as they enter the “FCAT Writes” testing next Tuesday, he will be joined by me and now, you . . . all because he invited his pastor to work one day.

Email me and invite me to work with you one day! I promise I’m not a picky eater and I would love to encourage and pray for you as you take your everyday ordinary going to work life and offer it to the Lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing story! My daughter is a teacher at a private church school and I know the challenges she faces each day, so I can relate to Mr Levi's daily challenges. We never really know the issues and problems facing others because we see their smiling faces on Sunday. I will be praying for Mr Levi, his class, and his staff...as well as all students and teachers as they prepare for those tests!
I would invite you to work with me, but since I work at home on a computer most of the time, it would be REALLY boring for you! But, it's a wonderful idea!!
Blessings and prayers to you!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure you could handle being at my job all day Dave... How are you teenager skills? Do you think you could handle being around 130 foul mouthed, ungrateful, materialistic children (and that's just inside my room)? If so... Sure! I'd love to have you come to work with me one day.