Saturday, March 3, 2012

Invite Your Pastors to College Day

It’s been almost 20 years since I graduated from college. Wha?! For a guy who still thinks he’s barely out of high school, this is difficult to believe.

I thought about my distance fromcollege days this week when Carolyn and I were in Gainesville for a continuing education conference. In addition to the conference we took the opportunity to meet for dinner with all the Spring of Lifers who are attending the University of Florida. I was so glad everyone’s schedule worked out so we could meet.

We started at the United Methodist campus ministry building known as “Gator Wesley” at the corner of University and 13th. In case you don’t know, the Spring of Life UF students are Adam Gutman, Tyler Crossley, Nathan Githens, and Alex Githens. I was particularly glad too that our friend the Rev. Dan Wunderlich, one of the campus pastors at Gator Wesley could join us for dinner as well. Incidentally, Dan was in the youth group at the Conway United Methodist Church when Carolyn and I started as associate pastors. We pestered Dan about God calling him into the ordained ministry the whole time we were at Conway. He’s a great guy, a talented preacher and I’m so glad that we got to introduce our college students to him.

After a brief conflict over sushi or BBQ, we made our way to the famous “Adam’s Rib Company” just down 13th street from the Gator Wesley building. It was meant to be. Adam’s Rib Company sells good BBQ in large quantities for a low price – the perfect place for 7 hungry Gators. In fact, one peek at the menu and we knew what we were ordering: “The Pro Platter.” The sub title for the Pro Platter said, “Enough to feed 8 hungry Gators.” Perfect. Only after we were finished, I suggest that they update their menu to read: “Enough to feed 7 hungry Gators.” There were no leftovers. I’ve never seen a human being eat so much, so fast (Nathan!).

The time for eating and conversation went by fast. I found myself feeling like more of a parent than a student (even though I clearly look more like a student). We listened as they shared about adjusting to new freedom and responsibility. We heard about challenging course work, deciding on a major, interesting internships, roommates, apartment living and of course football and basketball. And no dinner with your pastor would be complete without a little encouragement: “And if you haven’t ever gone to worship at Gator Wesley . . . Dan’s a really good preacher! What time did you say those worship times were, Dan???”

Going to college can be an exciting and fun experience, and it can be a challenging, frightening, difficult experience too. I hope you will join me in remembering to pray for all our college students from Spring of Life. I wish we could visit them all, but since we can’t I ask you to pray for them all. Here are their names: Kayla Hilkert, Kayla O’Donnell , Tyler Crossley, Kira Peterman, Brain Gutman, Adam Gutman, John Tomlinson, Nathan Githens, Alex Githens, Carson Sherrod.

If you’d like to do a little more, like send a card or a care package then send Debbie Sherrod an email request for address. She wants to help our church support our college students while they are at school.

No comments: