Saturday, March 24, 2012

Building the Beloved Community: Reflections on Modern Racism

Beginning February 27th, Carolyn and I attended a two and a half day diversity and sensitivity training for all appointed United Methodist clergy in Florida called “Building the Beloved Community.” Though it was not planned in response to the shooting death of an unarmed black 17 year old boy named Trayvon Martin which happened February 26th, the things I learned during that training have echoed in my mind in the wake of his violent death.

I wish I could say that it was my idea to attend the training. I’m not that good. We went to the training out of duty. Our bishop, the Rev. Timothy Whitaker, had a vision for the clergy and churches of the Florida Conference United Methodist Church to address the crisis which not only threatens our future, but renders us unfaithful in the present. Our crisis is a church that is far too homogenously white, aging and middle class.

The United Methodist Church in Florida inadequately reflects the diversity of people who live in the state of Florida. Why is that? Are we ok with that? Wait, the better question: Is God ok with that?

Perhaps you agree with me that God is not ok with that. Perhaps you agree that the angel in Luke’s gospel was right when she announced Jesus’ birth to the shepherds by saying, “I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people.” You might also recall the vision of God’s kingdom that the writer of Revelation imagines in chapter 7, “After this I looked, and there was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the Lamb [Jesus], robed in white, with palm branches in their hands.” This diverse and inclusive people of God are worshipping God together.

It is God’s hope that the church be a community that recognizes differences and seeks to understand and appreciate the diversity that exists in the world. Notice that these Scriptures don’t call us to be “color blind” or a “melting pot,” but rather multi-cultural. I’m learning that there is a difference.

This vision, though beautiful I think, sounds simpler than it is to achieve. One reason for that is discerned in this quote by William Faulkner: “The past is never dead. It’s not even past.”

My assumption as a white, able bodied, middle class, male is that racism is mostly a problem of the past. I assume this because of the progress made through the civil rights movement of the 1960’s to change laws that were unjust toward black people. As a result of this progress, I assume that racism exists today only in isolated pockets and is perpetrated only by a few.

What I’m learning is that the experience of black people is different from mine. I’m learning that racism is still very much a reality in the present. And I’m learning that this reality is as much subtle as it is overt, indirect as it is direct. I’m also learning that racism is a reality that extends beyond personal and interpersonal hateful actions said or done because of someone’s color.

It is difficult for me to imagine what it is like to be considered “suspicious” because of the color of my skin. I’ve never been watched by the manager while I walk through the aisle of a store. I expect people will want to hear what I have to say when I talk in a group. And it has never occurred to me that I wouldn’t be welcomed, have the opportunity to participate fully and have my culture represented and appreciated in my neighborhood, church and school. Those experiences of modern racism are all too common for black people.

Faulkner was right, “The past is never dead. It’s not even past.”

[For more on this reality see columns by Darrell Owens, Mark Pinsky and Drew G.I. Hart ]

Our bishop reminded us that the work of Martin Luther King Jr. may be most noted for his confrontation of unjust Jim Crow laws and a call for the nation to start obeying the 14th commandment of the US Constitution which states:

“No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

“But,” said our bishop, “King gave us a vision that was bigger than simply obeying the 14th amendment. He led as a Christian who longed for something bigger than that – a vision of becoming a beloved community."

Our faith gives us resources of love, forgiveness, humility, courage, joy, perseverance and hope (just to name a few) that will sustain us in the difficult, confusing, fearful task of confronting the ongoing problem of racism which fractures our churches, communities and nation. We will make mistakes. We will not agree. And that is ok. We can courageously enter the conversation.

So what do we do next?

Another Faulkner quote is instructive: “The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.”

Here are the small stones I’m picking up (I’ll start with one):

• I’m going to read authors and writers who are not white men (admitting that two of my favorite authors are white men!). I need to learn more about the perspectives, differences and contributions of black men and women. I’ve decided to do this instead of visiting my black friends with endless questions to educate me and "help me understand." One place to start are the editorials referenced above and this article by Valerie Batts, Ph. D., Executive Director, VISIONS, Inc. “Is Reconciliation Possible: Lessons from Combating Modern Racism”

3 comments:

Mr. Limpet said...

I recommend reading Beloved by Toni Morrison, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (as well as other works by her), and the play A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry. These are fantastic for a view of the African-American experience.

For the Asian-American experience, I recommend anything written by Amy Tan or Maxine Hong Kingston. The novel, Snow Falling on Cedars, is also a good one for this. For the Native American experience, try reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee or anything by Sherman Alexie.

Diversity is extremely important in our community and our world. I know from where I teach that there is an extreme need for more tolerance and understanding of diversity than what exists. I also know firsthand of some of the prejudices perpetuated on other races or families that are multicultural in nature.

Unfortunately, racism is not dead, but has transformed into more covert actions by a few. A song I know makes the comment: "Ignorance and prejudice and fear go hand in hand." This is so true.

Dave Williamson said...

Thank you so much for your comments Jay. Looking forward to reading those books. I read Hurston's book in college, and need to pick it up again.

Dave Williamson said...

And yes... I know there are "amendments" not "commandments" in the constitution. Thanks for pointing that out Jim!